South African Braai. T-bone steak marinated, along with Pap covered in blend of tomato, onion, sweet chilli sauce, with salads on the side. Boerie as well as a sosatie on side.
- 450 – 680 grams bone-in T-bone steak
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Bread rolls
- Tinned tomato and onion
- Wellington sweet chili sauce
- Lettuce, tomato, cucumber (optional salad as a side dish)
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (2,5ml) salt
- 1 cup (250ml) maize meal
- 1 Tbls (15ml) butter
- Put the water and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Turn to a low heat once boiling and immediately add in the butter and the maize meal. Don’t wait for the water to cool. Mix to combine.
- Adjust with extra water or maize meal to the consistency of your liking. I like it the same consistency as mashed potato.
- Leave to cook covered on a low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pan fry the T-bone steak, sosatie and boerewors. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Remember to have removed steak from the refrigerator a half-hour before cooking.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Pat steak dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Add oil to hot skillet and when it begins to smoke add steak. Reduce heat slightly and cook steak, sosatie and boerewors until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer skillet to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into the steak registers 120 degrees F for medium-rare, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer steak, sosatie and boerewors to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut steak, sosatie and boerewors from the bone and carve meat across the grain. Keep them warm and set aside.
- 30 minutes should have passed by now, so pap should be ready. Keep pot off stove but keep it warm.
- Throw tinned tomato and onion into a pan and cook for 10minutes. Add some Wellington’s sweet chili sauce, as desired. Once done, set aside to drizzle on pap later.
- Slice up bread rolls and butter them. Place sosatie and boerwors inside.
10. Make salad and serve.