Prawns with orange sauce on a bed of caramelized pineapples, scented in vanilla finished with olive oil and sherry vinegar vinaigrette.
- 1 pineapple
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 24 tiger prawns (raw)
- lettuce (freshly washed)
- salt and pepper for seasoning (optional)
- Olive oil
- Sherry vinegar
- Core and peel pineapple. Slice it lengthwise into eighths.
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Coat pineapple wedges with sugar; place in hot pan. Cook, turning once and shaking pan often, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the pineapples, cook prawns so long. Bring 2.5 litres of water to the boil, add 2 tablespoons of sea salt. Add prawns to boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Prawns are done when they float to the top of the water. To test, take out a prawn and hold it to the light, it is cooked when the flesh has shrunk from the shell slightly and the prawn looks translucent.
- When they’re done, remove them from the boiling water and place in a big bowl of iced water to cool them.
- Now the pineapples should be ready. Remove pineapples from pan, then stir 3 tablespoons water into pan, and heat briefly. Place washed lettuce on plate, then place pineapples on top of them. Drizzle sauce over pineapples. Place prawns on top of caramelized pineapples, and season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and sherry vinegar as desired.