Chocolate Soufflé topped with chocolate and walnut shavings. Finished with white chocolate on triple ice cream on waffle and wafer sticks with Strawberry on the side.
Note: Serves 6.
- Melted butter, to grease
- 4 1/2 tbscaster sugar
- 60g butter
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 160ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 210g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs, separated
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thin cream
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Strawberries, ice cream and chocolate wafers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush six 160ml (2/3-cup) ovenproof souffle dishes with melted butter to grease (using upward strokes on side). Sprinkle the inside with 1 1/2 tbs of caster sugar, shake out any excess.
- Melt 30g of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and use a wooden spoon to stir for 1 minute or until mixture is smooth and begins to bubble. Remove from heat, gradually add milk, stirring until smooth and combined. Return to medium heat, stir until mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 125g of the chocolate and remaining caster sugar until combined. Transfer to a bowl. Add egg yolks and stir until well combined.
- Use an electric beater to whisk egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Use a metal spoon to fold one-third of the egg whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into prepared dishes. Place on a baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until well risen.
- Meanwhile: combine remaining chocolate, remaining butter, brown sugar, cream and vanilla essence in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is well combined. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Place in a jug.
- To serve, place ramekins on plates. Dust with icing sugar. Use a spoon to make a hole in top of each souffle, pour in a little chocolate sauce. Add chocolate wafers, strawberries and ice cream on side if desired.